15 Cornerstone Ct #3A, Plantsville, CT 06479
Find answers and other helpful dental topics in our digital library.
Periodontal Care In Southington
If you’ve ever had itchy gums, a cavity or noticed that your gums bleed when brushing, it could be a sign of periodontal disease, also known as gum disease or gingivitis. This highly common dental issue affects millions of people every year and is best treated in its earlier stages. Give Dr. Salesky and his team a call at (860) 628-5029 to schedule a timely visit for preventive dentistry in Southington.
What Is Gum Disease?
Patients with gum disease may not know they have it until they notice more concerning symptoms. Symptoms of gum disease include the following:
- Red, swollen or itchy gums, or gums that bleed when brushing
- Teeth that appear loose as gums recede away from the teeth
- Increased tooth sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Chronic bad breath that doesn’t seem to go away
- Formation of a small abscess in the mouth
From irritated or itchy gums to more serious symptoms such as loose teeth or tooth loss (signs that gum disease has advanced to periodontal disease) the best way to resolve a dental problem is to seek professional dental care.
Understanding Systemic Health
Gum disease and periodontitis have been linked to health risks affecting the rest of the body, such as poor cardiovascular health, risks of stroke or Alzheimer’s, and pregnancy issues such as low birth weight. Do your part to support better oral and overall health by practicing good dental hygiene and coming in to see the dentist for a routine dental checkup and teeth cleaning.
Scaling and Root Planing
In cases where gum disease is present and has advanced to periodontitis, a regular dental cleaning paired with brushing and flossing will not be enough to reverse the damage. Instead, your dentist may recommend a form of “deep cleaning” known as scaling and root planing to reduce risks of tooth loss, tooth decay and other damaging effects of tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- A local anesthesia is applied to numb the affected area. Patients with dental anxiety or who hope to achieve a deeper state of relaxation may request sedation dentistry for its calming effects.
- A scaling instrument is used to carefully remove tough buildup of plaque, bacteria and dental calculus from the surface of the teeth.
- Dental planing involves reaching just below the gum line to locate and remove the agitating debris responsible for causing gum inflammation, toothaches or bleeding gums when brushing.
- After scaling and root planing, it is highly recommended to upkeep a good dental hygiene routine. Your dentist may also prescribe dental medication or antibiotics to aid in a fast healing process and reduce risks of reinfection.
Maintaining Positive Oral Health At Southington Dentistry
Patients who see their dentist for checkups and brush and floss regularly have a higher chance of preventing or reducing symptoms of gum disease. But no matter your current dental condition, Dr. Salesky and his team are prepared to care for you with gentle dentistry in a judgement-free environment.
“I Need A Dentist Near Me!”
As your local dentist in Southington, we’re honored to provide quality restorative dentistry with gentle root canal therapy, dental crowns, dental implants and more. Whether you need a dental crown, bridge or custom denture, finding the best dental treatment for your needs starts with a visit to your local family dentist serving Southington, Bristol, Plantsville and nearby.